HEY FRIENDS! As many of you know, I was recently asked to be a guest designer for AALL and Create, a fun and quirky mixed media company based in England. You might recognize the images of one of their designers, Janet Klein, who has her own line of digital stamps at Vera Lane Studio on Etsy. I love her images so today’s project uses her Look Cute stamp as the focal point.
This card has a little bit of everything – stenciling, stamping, heat embossing, Copic marker coloring, texture paste, and die cutting. I was feeling uninspired so while scrolling through my YouTube feed I came across a video of @autourmwa on Hochanda. I was fascinated. He made mixed media look so effortless. So I surrounded myself with my stash and got to work! Once the first layer was in place, the rest came together, resulting in the eclectic, quirky look that I wanted.
As always, I’ve linked the supplies below with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
Today’s project features:
- #92 Swallowtail – Olga Heldwein by AALL and Create
- #566 Winged Fragments – Tracy Evans by AALL and Create
- #307 Overlapping Texture – Tracy Evans by AALL and Create
- #39 Lotza Dotz – Autour de Mwa by AALL and Create
- #300 Look Cute – Janet Klein by AALL and Create [SSS] [AALL]
- #12 Code – Bipasha Bk (BK’s Creative Corner)
- Stitches of Love – Penny Black [SSS] [SBC]
Step by Step Process
I didn’t take process photos so I’ll describe the steps below:
- Cut a piece of white cardstock using the largest Stitches of Love die.
- Spray the back of the #92 Swallowtail stencil with Pixie Spray and place at a diagonal on the cardstock. Press the stencil down to hold it in place.
- Apply a light layer of Distress Oxide ink in Spun Sugar over the entire stencil.
- Add a light layer of Distress Oxide in in Kitsch Flamingo working out from the center, but not all the way to the edge.
- Follow with a light layer of Distress Oxide in Picked Raspberry, concentrating the color at the center.
- Lift the stencil and clean the back.
- On the left side, stamp the #566 Winged Fragments image using Versafine Clare in Nocturne. If desired, cover with clear embossing powder and heat set.
- Randomly stamp portions of the #307 Overlapping Texture stamp using Versafine Clare in Morning Mist.
- Place the #39 Lotza Dotz stencil on the cardstock. I like to use my 7″ Wendy Vecchi Make Art Stay-tion, using a little repositionable tape on the back of the cardstock to hold it in place on the platform and then using the magnets to hold the stencil in place.
- Randomly spread Texture Paste through the stencil using a palette knife. Lift the stencil and clean the stencil and the palette knife immediately. They are much harder to clean if you allow the texture paste to dry.
- Stamp the #300 Look Cute image on Hammermill # 100 Paper using a Copic compatible ink (I used Hero Arts Intense Black). See list below for Copic markers. When finished, fussy cut the image and apply foam adhesive squares or foam tape on the back.
- Cut the #12 Code die twice from white cardstock. Glue the two layers together using a glue that dries clear (I used Art Glitter Glue).
- Assemble layers as shown.
Hope you enjoyed today’s project. See you again soon!
COPICS: E000, E01, E11, E21 (skin); YR23, YR24, YR27, E25 (hair); BV20, BV23, G12, G14, B0000, B00, B01 (eyes and flower); BV20, BV23, B00, B01, B02, B05 (dress); R20, R22, R24 (red combination); RV52, RV55, RV63, RV66 (pink combination); Y32, Y35, Y38 (yellow combination)
[Compensated affiliate links used when possible. In addition, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Items marked with an asterisk (*) were provided by a store or the manufacturer. All other items were personally purchased.]