HEY FRIENDS! I don’t usually subscribe to monthly card kits, but I have been buying the Simon Says Stamp Card Kits for several months now and I’ve been impressed by the quality of the products and the value of the kits. The new March 2023 card kit features the folk-art inspired Happy Hello stamp set perfect for almost any occasion. I looked at the beautiful cards made by other designers, but decided that I wanted to do something a little different. The heart design was so reminiscent of Pennsylvania Dutch patterns that I decided that I wanted to do it in color.
At first, I tried coloring the image with Copic Markers – what made me think I could color fine detail with a brush nib? Eventually, I came to my senses and pulled out my Polychromos Pencils and had some fun!
As always, I’ve linked supplies with compensated affiliate links used where possible at no cost to you.
- Happy Hello by Simon Says Stamp [ SSS ]
- Stonehenge Drawing Paper, Multi-Colored [ BA ]
- Fade-Out No Line Coloring Ink by Ink on 3 [ SSS ]
- Faber Castell Polychromos Pencils
- Additional supplies listed in the thumbnails below
- Reds: 121 Pale Geranium Lake, 223 Deep Red, 225 Dark Red
- Blues: 152 Middle Phthalo Blue, 144 Colbalt Blue-Greenish, 151 Helioblue-Reddish
- Greens: 266 Permanent Green, 167 Permanent Green Olive
- Yellows: 107 Cadmium Yellow, 108 Dark Cadmium Yellow
When choosing colors, I pretty much just picked colors that I thought would blend together for each combination by looking at the pencils. Not terribly scientific, but it was fun to just grab pencils and color. If you want to be a little more selective, Sandy Allnock’s Hex Chart for Polychromos Pencils is a great tool. I would have used it myself if I was working on a more complicated image.
After I finished coloring the image, I trimmed the panel to 4″ x 5.25″ and added foam tape to the back. I cut an A2 cardbase from Neenah Classic Crest and an A2 panel of Wild Cherry cardstock from My Favorite Things. Then I assembled the layers as shown.
Hope you enjoyed today’s project! See you again soon!
[Compensated affiliate links used when possible. In addition, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Items marked with an asterisk (*) were provided by a store or the manufacturer. All other items were personally purchased.]